Thursday, January 4, 2007

They're a lot of us out there


I just finished 'Three Dog Life' by Abigail Thomas.
It was a sad, contemplative look at her marriage to a man who had suffered a serious brain injury 4 years previously. She spoke in a familiar voice, like a friend who knows you well enough to share the dreary minutia of her day and is able to handle your honest compassion. She especially loved her three dogs who sleep with her at night, providing quiet companionship and stinky breath. It made me think a lot about aging and illness, and what we all face eventually; the loss of our strength physically and the silent echo of limited time.

It occurred to me that there must be an army of women on the cusp of 49 and 50 who feel the need to reflect, pause, and restart. Like the 100k rollover on a trusty, rugged and faithful car, we want to be certified for another 100k, but the driving conditions are riskier, and the driver's eyesight is less than 20/20.

How do we define who we are at 50 when we've always been"young"? If I was 'pretty' in my youth, what am I at 50 ? Handsome? Invisible?

If I am strong at 50 will that protect me from frailty, or do bones snap just a readily as you cycle into the headwinds? Can I rest a little more and not feel lazy and underachieving?

What matters now, what doesn't. Is there a place for me in the line up of credible witnesses? Will I become a fine roux, reduced by evaporation to distilled perfection?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi, CW--
I think that there are LOTS of us out there, who wonder and hope and plan for the 'second half of life' with the uncertainties of illness, life events, opportunities, etc. I keep reminding my wisdom voice to kick in and silence the questioner and doubter. Hopefully in mid-life, we can let go of the 'shoulds' and expectations, and make sure that our dreams are pursued but that we also replenish our energies, and rest as well. I'm still working on that....

I think if we're strong at 50, at least we're facing the headwinds with all we can muster!

Unknown said...

CW-
I think I reflected and restarted at age 40 and am stronger now at 51. The eyesight, aches and pains are troublesome though...
Invisible? Reduced by evaporation? I'll have to think about that.

cwagner said...

I am SO EXCITED to have comments! How fun!
What I mean about evaporation is how one's essense or personality gets to be more concentrated. We become more of ourselves and less of the fluff that we were trained to add on. Does that make sense?
I'm getting leaner and meaner :)