Thursday, January 25, 2007

Brain chemistry

I've been reading 'Change your Brain' by Daniel Amen, friend of my P.A. She suggested that because I am addicted to coffee, I may be trying to stimulate my front cortex, like people with ADD, who have a temporal lobe problem. He says "If there are temporal lobe problems it is likely people will exhibit struggles with memory, mood stability, word finding and temper control. "

All very interesting. She said I need to increase my dopamine level to boost what I am trying to get from the coffee, stimulation. Dr.Amen has tests on his web site for various brain issues, but I don't fit in the ADD profile. Maybe the spacy, foggy symptoms.....but I forgot..;)

Not sure what to think but it's very intriguing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

CW:
Give up coffee? It's not fattening nor illegal. How does one increase the level of dopamine? Pills? Guess I'll stick with the coffee for now.

cwagner said...

cocaine seems to work :)
seriously,antidepressants of course
( certain ones)but glutamine, fish oil, vitamin c ..my brain is too foggy to remember the rest

pretty good link here
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8125-1055647_1,00.html