Saturday, May 17, 2008

Bicycle Crash


OK, so I did it. It's that sort of thing that every triathlete or cyclist fears might happen one day. Most of us have had an accident or two, or three, but I pride myself on being careful Of course REALLY careful would be not to ride at all, but I mean watchful, vigilant and smart about riding in the city. So I was doing intervals on Spicewood Springs Road. 3 mins on, 3 mins recovery. This sort of entails looking at the Garmin like kid glued to the ipod. At least I wasn't hooked up to my ipod! So I have finished about 5 of these drills and I'm headed home. This means I have to cross 360, a notoriously busy highway with wide shoulders. Cyclists ride out there all of the time, despite cars whizzing by at 60+ . So I thought I'd just add a couple more reps and turned up 360 going south. There's are beautiful Korean or Chinese Temple there on the right hand side of the road with a strikingly large eye catching golden Buddha. I was admiring the Buddha when I looked up and saw to my shock, a car about 10 feet directly in front of me. There wasn't time to do much of anything except try to slow down and brace for the impact. Yikes! Slam! Fortunately or unfortunately, my rather large Bucky Beaver front teeth took a lot of the impact. Wham, my hands jammed into the back of the car knocking me over on the pavement. I was a bit stunned. My right foot was still locked into my pedal. Man. Who parks on 360? I thought I might be ready to get chewed out, but no one came out of the car. It was apparently stalled and abandoned. I stood up gingerly. Everything hurt, but I was in one piece. managed to get myself back on the bike and slowly glided on the shoulder back towards home. I felt my lip was cut and my right front tooth was pushed down about 4m lower than the others. IT was numb. Then I noticed my little finger was swelling bigger than my glove. It was starting to throb. I managed to get home and this is what I saw in the mirror. Humm, and nobody even stopped to help. Wow.
What a bad week to quit heroin!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Geez, I can't believe no one even stopped! And at least it wasn't worse -- although you look pretty much worse for wear to me! Hope everything settles down quickly.

LW

Anonymous said...

WOW...I didn't realize it was so bad! I am glad you seem to be much better now! Good seeing you the other day!

-Spencer