Wednesday, August 8, 2007

OK, I'm 50 now and it's not that different!


Turning 50 was a relief after spending the last couple of years reflecting, dreading, and reconciling my feelings. The actual day was pretty unremarkable except for my feeling pretty happy about the whole deal. Who would have thought? The body adapts to the mind and the mind adapts to the body. That evening the universe conjured up a stunning full moon and stars, reflected above La Jicarita peak. How nice to be reminded of what a great joy to be ensconced in nature.

My animals and my art continue to inspire and delight me. Archie ( Archibald Cox my maine coon boy ) has made two escapes into the wilds of the great outdoors. The kitties have learned to use the dog door for exiting, but not for re entry. Oops! Aretha was on the front porch yesterday and Archie was hiding under the porch. Good thing the coyotes were already at work ( or something) . During the time that I was slouching in my county courthouse chair listening to corrupt, lying neighborhood group leaders fight each other, my poor kitties were exposed to the outdoors! Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

On the subject of neighborhood politics, it seems that pay backs, bribes, power plays, insensitivity, name calling,and prejudice rule the system. What a disappointment. Why am I continually surprised? I guess I feel such a need for fairness, that I find it unbelievable that this sort of behavior can exist for years without some form of correction. When 'newcomers' try to get involved to straighten things out through logic and fairness, they are labeled insensitive to the 'local' way of doing things.They are called names, ostracized and despised for their education.They are feared for their ability to look up legal terms and laws, and they are pushed hard by the frozen hate of years of isolation. They are despised for their light skin and their new cars.They are sometimes threatened. Twenty years ago they would have had their house burned down. Now they are just stared at fiercely as they slowly drive down the community gravel roads, and they are talked about in Penasco foods. "That blond girl" and "that lady down the road that lives behind the Martinez's". You get the idea. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Not that everyone is like that. Many, many are not. In fact most of my Llano Largo neighbors are stunningly friendly and kind, welcoming and warm. Most of them are happy that we love this area as much as they do and love to share the beauty and the struggles that go along with this place. This rugged place of extreme beauty.

No comments: