Monday, February 19, 2007

The hunt for a new kitty




So after my beloved Nellie died, I have been in a tailspin, sort of lost and free fall. I know it seems goofy to feel that way about a cat, but she was my family, ragged as it was and is.
I woke up one morning and thought "Maine Coon cat"! Yeah! I'm gonna get me one of those. And then the obsession began. Hours of research on the breed, cat fancy articles, emailing breeders to find out if they have kittens. KITTENS!

There is always the anticipated link to click to see if...if...they have...do they?????...YES! WOO HOO!! Then you get a tasty tiny photo ( well from the classy breeders anyway) of the kittens looking cuter than your dead cat ( sorry Nell ) and you're hooked. Add to basket. Can you believe there are people selling cats with shopping carts tied to paypal? Yikes.

I could fly up there to Oklahoma city and buy a cat carrier, bring her back under the seat for oh, less than $400. Add that to the kitten fee of $500 and wheeeeeee...kitties....wheeee....

So the above pictured Becky kitty is available , $500, from a breeder in Oklahoma. She's ready to go at 8 weeks. 8 weeks? All of the reputible breeders let their kitties leave at 12 weeks. Why is she ready at 8 weeks? Oh jeeze, now I have to research breeders. Shit! And I WANTED BECKY. She's goddam adorable. I am in mourning and I need adorable NOW.

Check flights to Oklahoma. Humm. Think perhaps a sensible person would look at breeders closer to them. Shit. Since when was I ever acussed of being sensible? Ugh. Since I'm about to turn 50, that's when. OK. Calm down. A kitty will come.

So I politely email said breeder that I appreciate her help, but I'm still uncertain about adopting a purebred vs. a shelter kitty. My main concern is how the kitty will get along with my two big dogs. ....so then she sends me the photo of Becky kitty with the dog. Oh, how unfair! How cruel and unjust and dirty! Oh, please let me be!

THis was last week. Centuries have passed since the kitty hunt last week.

TBC






http://www.mycathatesyou.com/cats

http://www.mycathatesyou.com/images/cats/2006/10/queen_nefertiti.jpg

No comments: